Register Now
Already registered? Login

Sign in to take advantage of all this site has to offer. Save your favorite listings and searches – also receive email updates when listings you like come on the market for free!
*Contact Information is NOT Shared*

Mountain Life FAQ

Can you sell any property on the mountain or only your listings?

  • A real estate agent from Mountain Real Estate Services can show you just about any home that is professionally listed for sale in California.  In fact, it is likely that most homes your agent will show you are not their listings but those of another licensed Realtor.  

I am looking for a remote piece of property.  Can I find this on the mountain?

  • All eight communities here were subdivided many years ago and are surrounded by US Forest.  Chances are, you will have a neighbor and you will see them from your property. There are exceptions but not many.  Please look at the Community Maps page of this website to see how the subdivisions are designed.  

Is property owned or leased in the United State Forest Service?

  • Most of the property for sale on the mountain is private property that you can own.  There are a few cabins for sale that are located on USFS lease or permit land.  Be sure you know the difference when looking to buy as USFS property cannot be financed or insured because you only own the structure and not the land it is built on.  You will also need to apply personally for the lease with the USFS, it does not automatically transfer to a buyer.

Can I get financing for a second home here?

  • Yes, you can get conventional financing.   We will be happy to connect you with a lender who is familiar with the area.

Can I get insurance?

  • There are insurance programs in place for wild land or high fire areas.  An independent insurance broker will be your best choice and they may need to combine a policy with State coverage.   Expect to pay more for owning property in such a beautiful area however.

How do I get water to my cabin?

  • Each community has its own gravity-fed water system.  Some are spring feed, some are river or creek and some are well.  All have access at the street if you are building a home.  Existing homes will already be connected.   The systems are not on meters yet so you will be charged a yearly fee for all the water you use, somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 per year.

Is there winter access and snow removal?

  • Cal trans removes snow from Highway 190 to just past Ponderosa Lodge.  The County of Tulare plows interior roads (or contracts for snow removal).  You are responsible for  snow removal on your driveway and around your property.  You can do this yourself or hire a local company to do it for you.

  • The Mountain-Aire subdivision does not have access in winter due to road closure by the USFS.  

  • Cedar Slope cannot guarantee cabin access in winter depending on the location of the cabin in the subdivision.

How do I build or remodel a cabin?

  • We are located in the County of Tulare and must abide by the established building codes of the State of California.  Any fees, permits or processes that would be required "in town" will be required here.  Please consult a licensed contractor or the County's Resource Management Agency.

How do utilities work?

  • Southern California Edison supplies the electricity to all but the Mountain-Aire subdivision.  Folks there use propane, solar or generators for lights, cooking and refrigerators.

  • Propane is the natural gas that you can connect to your home.  You can own your own tank and have it filled by the supplier of your choice or, you can lease a tank from a local propane supplier and they will fill it.

  • Water is provided by a local  gravity-fed system depending on where you locate.

  • There is no trash service on the mountain.  You will need to haul it home with you or take it to the transfer station above Camp Nelson or below, in Springville.

  • Every cabin will have a septic system for waste water.  You can ask to have the system inspected and certified when making a purchase.

Are there landscaping restrictions?

  • The home you purchase will be on private property that is your responsibility to maintain.  Cal Fire does require that you clean 30' around any structures however, and will inspect your property every May for compliance.     

Make an appointment today and we'll tell you everything you need to know to move ahead with your plans.

Mountain Real Estate Services

Deborah Unser, Realtor®
Associate Broker, Melson Realty, Inc.
Cal BRE #01905306

Phone: 559-542-2822          Cell:  559-333-4989


house realtor mls

Real Estate Websites by iHOUSEweb iconiHOUSEweb | Admin Menu